By Dennis Tedlock
Mayan literature is one of the oldest on the earth, spanning an impressive millennia from deep pre-Columbian antiquity to the current day. the following, for the 1st time, is a completely illustrated survey, from the earliest hieroglyphic inscriptions to the works of later writers utilizing the Roman alphabet. Dennis Tedlock—ethnographer, linguist, poet, and award-winning author—draws on a long time of residing and dealing one of the Maya to collect this groundbreaking ebook, that is the 1st to regard historical Mayan texts as literature. Tedlock considers the texts chronologically. He establishes that ladies have been one of the historic writers and demanding situations the concept that Mayan rulers claimed the prestige of gods. 2000 Years of Mayan Literature expands our knowing and appreciation not just of Mayan literature yet of indigenous American literature in its entirety.
Read or Download 2000 Years of Mayan Literature PDF
Similar linguistics books
'Theories of Lexical Semantics' deals a entire evaluate of the main traditions of be aware that means examine in linguistics. even with the becoming significance of the lexicon in linguistic idea, no review of the most theoretical traits in lexical semantics is at the moment to be had. This booklet fills that hole by means of charting the evolution of the self-discipline from the mid 19th century to the current day.
Wandala is a hitherto undescribed critical Chadic language spoken in Northern Cameroon and Northeastern Nigeria. The Grammar of Wandala describes, in a non-aprioristic process, phonology, morphology, syntax, and all useful domain names grammaticalized within the language. The grammatical constitution of Wandala is sort of various from the constitution of different Chadic languages defined up to now in either the formal capacity and the services which have been grammaticalized.
- Catalogo de sellos tematicos Escultismo Domfil Thematic Stamp Catalog Scouting English Spanish
- Auditory Representations in Phonology (Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics)
- Grundlagen der generativen Syntax: Französisch, Italienisch, Spanisch
- Hittite Etymological Dictionary: Words beginning with Pe, PI, PU
- Marta y Maria (Heath's Modern Language Series)
- 201 Arabic verbs : fully conjugated in all the forms
Additional info for 2000 Years of Mayan Literature
The Classic sign stands for the number twenty and can be combined with bars and dots to produce larger numbers that usually refer to the age of the current moon or the length of the current synodic month. The crescent shape of the sign alerts the reader to the lunar nature of the number. In Classic inscriptions, lunar information is preceded by dates from the 260-day and 365-day calendars. If the present inscription was organized in a similar way, the missing upper portion may have included such dates.
5. Inscription carved on Stela 10 at Kaminaljuyu, Guatemala. been read as the word for Late Preclassic. “jaguar” (and for the day of that name) in any of the Mesoamerican languages whose speakers were familiar with the divinatory calendar. The same is not true of later Mayan renditions of this day name, in which the head faces forward and three jaguar spots do double duty as facial features, as in the example below. The trefoil device beneath both versions of the name is a speciﬁcally Mayan way of marking a day name.
Another, labeled in exactly the same way, sits on the baseline of the painting, in front of the earth monster’s snout. The third bundle is partially hidden behind the cigar-smoking merchant god, resting on his throne. Here are the bundles of Jaguar Night and the god on the throne, with transcriptions of the signs written on them. The label on the bundle at left is preﬁxed with the bar-anddot sign for the number 9, b’olon, which (as we already know) can also be read as b’o’lay, “spotted” (like a jaguar).
2000 Years of Mayan Literature by Dennis Tedlock